Sat 11 May
10am – 4pm
Join Karené for a repeat pattern – block and Lino printing workshop and learn about printing repeat patterns onto textiles and paper with relief blocks and hand carved Lino. The process of block printing is calming and meditative, and at the same time there’s something really satisfying and exciting about gradually seeing a pattern grow on your fabric.
There will be 2 parts to this workshop. First we will use hand-carved wooden blocks from India, to explore the ways in which pattern repeats can work. You will learn how to get the inking and the pressure right and then create your own combinations of colour and motifs. These will be printed onto a sheet of paper for gift wrap and a small cotton cushion cover.
In the second part of the workshop you will design your own motif, which you will carve into lino. You will then use these lino blocks to print your pattern onto a piece of fabric, which can be used for future craft projects.
All materials and tools are included in the cost of this workshop. If you would like to bring additional items to upcycle and print onto, you are welcome to do so, however keep in mind that the inks we use are only suitable for natural fibres like cotton and linen. Items must be heat set at home with an iron, before washing (instructions will be provided).
About Your Tutor
Karené is an artist, a photographer, a printmaker and a pattern addict! She has a Fine Art Degree in History of Art and Studio Practice. She has been working as a photographer for many years, but in recent years her love for printmaking was reignited out of a need to make with her hands. Her passion lead her to a course in Oxford and she is now a certified block printing tutor. She enjoys creating her own motifs with linocuts and also has a growing collection of hand-carved wooden blocks. Karené is South African, now living in Scotland with her husband, 2 daughters and crazy dog.
- All tools are provided for use at your Repeat Pattern – Block and Lino Printing workshop and materials are included in the course cost.
- Tea and coffee are provided but participants should bring their own lunch and utensils
- All of our classes are suitable for over 16s, younger crafters may be accommodated if accompanied by a participating adult but please contact us before booking
- If the workshop you were looking at is fully booked drop us an email and we’ll add you to the waiting list. We will add extra dates to our most popular workshops too, join the mailing list to be the first to know
- All of our workshops are held at Craft Central, High Street, Dunblane, FK15 0EE
- If you need to cancel or reschedule your workshop we need at least three weeks notice. Please read our cancellation policy before booking.