Sat 24 & Sun 25 Sept
10am – 4pm
Join professional weaver Jo McDonald for a two-day introduction to a range of weaving techniques. Explore the wide-ranging textural possibilities of tapestry through the use of different materials and techniques. Learn how to build pattern and combine colours, taking inspiration from the landscape, be it urban or natural. You can bring along your own photos and sketches to take inspiration from or choose from our selection of source material. Heavily textured images such as close ups of urban surfaces or natural textures such as moss and lichen are a great starting point!
There will be a range of materials on offer to play with, such as cottons, wools, linens and unusual yarns for experimental weft blending. If you have materials that you would like to incorporate into your design, you are very welcome to bring them along. Perhaps you’d like to upcycle an old jumper or use up the ends of your wool stash – the more sustainable the better!
Over the two days you will learn how to:
- warp up a loom
- explore multiple warping, using up to 3 thicknesses of warp
- work with multiple weft bundles over different thicknesses of warps to explore sizes of beads
- explore surface texture through a variety of techniques, e.g. knot variations, tufting, whipping, twining, chaining and supplementary warps
- explore surface pattern through a variety of techniques, e.g. pick and pick, dots and stripes
- translate images into tapestry, by identifying key areas from your source material
- finish off and present your weaving as a finished artwork
This skill building workshop is suitable for crafters of all abilities – from complete beginners to those looking to add new skills to their repertoire or refine their existing weaving knowledge. We will begin with basic techniques and move on to more advanced methods as we all get up to speed. We strive to create a friendly and relaxed learning environment, where every learner can work at their own pace.
Jo McDonald is a Scottish Visual Artist, who lives and teaches in Edinburgh. She has been teaching weaving workshops for many years throughout the UK. She offers regular tapestry weaving courses in central Edinburgh for all levels of ability, from beginners to the more advanced, as well as one-to-one sessions.
Jo graduated from Edinburgh College of Art with a first class BA (Hons) and MFA in Tapestry. She was short-listed for The Cordis Trust Prize for Tapestry (2015 and 2021), received two Hope Scott Trust Awards (2019 and 2013), granted a Creative Scotland Professional Development Award (2013), and won the Milly and Benno Schotz Award for best work by a young sculptor at the Royal Glasgow Institute in 2012. She has work held in Apex International Hotels in London, Amateras Foundation in Bulgaria, University of Aberdeen in Scotland and The Gallery of Szombathelyi in Hungary, as well as in private collections in UK, France, USA and South Africa.
- All tools and materials are included in the course cost
- Tea and coffee are provided but participants should bring their own lunch and utensils
- All of our classes are suitable for over 16s, younger crafters may be accommodated if accompanied by a participating adult but please contact us before booking
- If the workshop you were looking at is fully booked drop us an email and we’ll add you to the waiting list. As restrictions ease we might be able to add more spaces to some of our courses. We will add extra dates to our most popular workshops too, join the mailing list to be the first to know