Sun 20 March
10am – 4pm
Join us for a fantastic shaggy rya weaving workshop with Stephanie Fradette, aka Le Petit Moose. Tapestry weaving has seen a great resurgence in interior designs of late, and Rya weaving is a great way to achieve a contemporary art piece for your home. Stephanie will teach you how to incorporate this specific knotting technique into an abstract landscape-inspired wall hanging. During the course of the day, we will begin by sketching your design then focus on maximising textures and finding our weaving rhythm whilst learning the fundamental techniques of warping your loom, knot variations and finishing techniques. This class is ideal for beginners, as no prior weaving experience is needed.
All tools and materials are included to create your shaggy rya weaving, but feel free to bring your own yarn stash to incorporate into your design. You’ll leave this class with an impactful piece of art, and the knowledge and confidence to carry on weaving at home. We’ll even let you take your loom home!
About Your Tutor
Stephanie Fradette is the fibre artist behind the brand “Le Petit Moose”, a nod to her French-Canadian roots. The Aberdeenshire-based artist blends bold colours into her woven, knotted and tufted wall hangings, showcasing rich textures, contemporary design and craftsmanship. Stephanie has been teaching weaving and knotting workshops across the North-East of Scotland since 2015. What started off as a one-off frame loom weaving class for a friend, progressed swiftly into teaching and delivering multiple hands-on fibre-based craft classes a month. Highlights have included teaching at Craft Scotland Summer Show, Dundee Contemporary Arts, The Barn Arts Centre in Banchory, the Fife Arms Hotel and guest tutor at Gray’s School of Art.
- All tools and materials are included in the course cost
- Tea and coffee are provided but participants should bring their own lunch and utensils
- All of our classes are suitable for over 16s, younger crafters may be accommodated if accompanied by a participating adult but please contact us before booking
- Covid restrictions are currently in place, and we ask that all participants take a lateral flow test before attending
- If the workshop you were looking at is fully booked drop us an email and we’ll add you to the waiting list. As restrictions ease we might be able to add more spaces to some of our courses. We will add extra dates to our most popular workshops too, join the mailing list to be the first to know