Sun 18 Feb
11am – 4pm
Join Edinburgh-based Bookbinder Cass Barron for a refillable bookbinding workshop and create an A6 notebook, complete with handy pockets to help organise your note-taking. If you’re a stationery lover, everyday sketcher, travel journaller, compulsive list maker or someone that carries around multiple notebooks – this workshop is for you!
This hardback journal features a leather spine threaded with elastic that can house multiple booklets – meaning that when you have filled a booklet, you can simply remove it, make a new one, reload your book and away you go! This also means you can mix and match your notebooks depending on what you’re doing each day.
In the workshop Cass will cover how to construct the outer of your book, attach the spine and add pocket details to the inside, before showing you a nifty way to make hand-stitched notebooks to slot into your book – you’ll leave the workshop with a beautiful book that will be a joy to use and the skills to keep refilling it for years to come!
All materials are included but you are welcome to bring along any papers from your own collection that you would like to use in your book – artwork, old maps, wrapping paper etc. work well. If you wish to take a set of bookbinding tools home, these will be available to purchase for £12 at the end of the workshop.
About Your Tutor
“I have a background in Fine Art Sculpture, which is were I first discovered bookbinding – making my own sketchbooks out of whatever was to hand so I could get the sculptures I wanted to make out of my head, onto paper and into the world.
Driven by a desire to help people explore their own creativity I went on to complete a Masters in Art Museum & Gallery Education, which led to me working as an Art Educator at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, Artist in Residence at the Girvan Lantern Festival and taking on the role of Development Officer with Voluntary Arts Scotland, supporting community groups of all shapes and sizes to develop and deliver creative activities – all the while teaching myself bookbinding and running bookbinding workshops.
In January 2019 I took the leap and went fully freelance and set up Bookbinding with Cass, which enabled me to put together a dynamic programme of creative classes and work in partnership with some fantastic community organisations, sharing my love of bookbinding with people from a range of backgrounds.”
- All materials for your refillable bookbinding workshop are included in the course cost, but you are welcome to bring your own collection of papers to incorporate into your design
- Tea and coffee are provided but participants should bring their own lunch and utensils
- All of our classes are suitable for over 16s, younger crafters may be accommodated if accompanied by a participating adult but please contact us before booking
- If the workshop you were looking at is fully booked drop us an email and we’ll add you to the waiting list. We will add extra dates to our most popular workshops too, join the mailing list to be the first to know
- All of our workshops are held at Craft Central, High Street, Dunblane, FK15 0EE
- If you need to cancel or reschedule your workshop we need at least three weeks notice. Please read our cancellation policy before booking