Sat 18 & Sun 19 June
10am – 4pm
Join us for a unique weaving workshop and explore the wonders of open weave structures with heritage craft specialist Elizabeth Ashdown. Use a mixture of materials to create your own unique weaving using the traditional French method of Passementerie. All materials and equipment required to complete your weaving workshop will be provided. You are welcome to bring along your own treasured yarns and found materials to incorporate into your totally unique weaving. Your loom is yours to take away with you at the end of the workshop, so you can leave with both the confidence and equipment you need to carry on crafting at home.
Passementerie weaving has been added to the Heritage Crafts Red List of endangered crafts. Part of our mission here at CSSC is to promote and support the future of specialist hand craft, so that beautiful art forms like this one don’t fade into obscurity. Join us for two fantastic days of weaving, and play a part in keeping this endangered craft alive for another generation.
Elizabeth Ashdown MA RCA is an artist based in South East England. She creates contemporary, hand woven artworks using the endangered craft of Passementerie. Only one of a few hand Passementerie weavers working in the UK today, Elizabeth combines traditional craft skills with a contemporary aesthetic in order to create intriguing and playful art works. Elizabeth is an Associate Lecturer at Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design and a Visiting Lecturer at the Royal College of Art, Winchester School of Art and Donghua University in Shanghai. We feel privileged to have her here to teach her only weaving workshop north of the border.
My role as an artist is not only to respect my traditional craft of Passementerie, but to unleash its potential. One way I do this is through teaching others about this fascinating, rare and endangered craft.
- All tools and materials are included in the course cost
- Tea and coffee are provided but participants should bring their own lunch and utensils
- All of our classes are suitable for over 16s, younger crafters may be accommodated if accompanied by a participating adult but please contact us before booking
- Covid restrictions are currently in place, and we ask that all participants take a lateral flow test before attending
- If the workshop you were looking at is fully booked drop us an email and we’ll add you to the waiting list. As restrictions ease we might be able to add more spaces to some of our courses. We will add extra dates to our most popular workshops too, join the mailing list to be the first to know