Saturday 5 March
10am – 4pm
In this one day workshop you will create a piece of mosaic art using natural slate. We’ll cover methods for preparing slate as well as different techniques for using it in a mosaic, creating pattern and texture, and adding pops of colour and shiny highlights. A gorgeous selection different of slates will be provided, as well as colourful glass to bring your design to life.
Rachel will talk you through the design process and help you come up with a finished design, then make it using the materials provided. You are also welcome to bring along any stones/pebbles/beads etc you would like to incorporate to add a personal touch to your artwork. You will leave with a finished piece of mosaic artwork, designed and made by your very own hands.
About Your Tutor
Rachel Davies creates contemporary mosaic art using slate, stone and glass. She combines traditional and modern techniques to process her materials which she then uses to build mosaics, with an emphasis on creating texture and movement. Her inspiration comes from the beauty of the natural materials themselves, as well as the Scottish landscape surrounding her. Many of her works reflect her concern for the natural world.
Rachel is a professional member of the British Association for Modern Mosaic (BAMM)
“This is a lovely course, giving an introduction to the craft, allowing the students to complete the activity and have a nice piece to take home.”
“This was a very nice way to spend a day, learning a new skill from an experienced tutor in good company.”
- All tools and materials are included in the course cost
- Tea and coffee are provided but participants should bring their own lunch and utensils
- All of our classes are suitable for over 16s, younger crafters may be accommodated if accompanied by a participating adult but please contact us before booking
- Covid restrictions are currently in place, and we ask that all participants take a lateral flow test before attending
- If the workshop you were looking at is fully booked drop us an email and we’ll add you to the waiting list. As restrictions ease we might be able to add more spaces to some of our courses. We will add extra dates to our most popular workshops too, join the mailing list to be the first to know