Sat 25 November
10am – 5pm
Join us for a back to basics introduction to sewing workshop, perfect for complete beginners to start their sewing journey and learn how to use a domestic sewing machine. After a comprehensive introduction to the sewing machine including sewing machine maintenance and cleaning, we’ll move on to cover topics such as stitches and seams, fabric terms, a simple hem and basic seam finishes. We’ll practice on small samples that you can use to create a sample book for future reference. We’ll then move on to making a tote bag from the techniques you’ve learned. You’ll leave at the end of the day having gotten to know the sewing machine, and gained the skills and confidence to tackle simple projects at home, as well as your completed tote bag.
So that you can make exactly the bag you want we ask that you source your own fabric beforehand. Fabric requirements: 1 metre of 100% cotton woven fabric (no stretch or jersey) in a medium weight. Quilting cotton works very well or a men’s t-shirt to upcycle! Please get in touch if you’re unsure about your fabric choice.
If you have a sewing machine you are welcome to bring it, and if not then you are welcome to use ours. If you’re looking to invest in a machine we can give you advice on the best model for you, or once you’ve completed the introduction to sewing you can join us on our regular Sunday Stitchery open sewing sessions where you can bring your projects along and work on our machines with a little bit of extra help from Cass if you need it.
About Your Tutor
Cassandra’s work is an invitation to a more sustainable future. It challenges home sewists, designers and educators to think through the social and environmental impacts of their practice, exploring issues such as zero waste, transparency, embedded storytelling, feminism, sizism, and body image.
- All tools are provided for use at the workshop and materials are included in the course cost.
- Tea and coffee are provided but participants should bring their own lunch and utensils
- All of our classes are suitable for over 16s, younger crafters may be accommodated if accompanied by a participating adult but please contact us before booking
- If the workshop you were looking at is fully booked drop us an email and we’ll add you to the waiting list. We will add extra dates to our most popular workshops too, join the mailing list to be the first to know
- All of our workshops are held at Craft Central, High Street, Dunblane, FK15 0EE.