Fri 9 – Sun 11 Feb
10am – 4pm
In this three day intensive course in art doll making with The Pale Rook, aka Johanna Flanningan, we will be working with a mix of traditional cloth doll making methods and free form textile sculpture, as well as incorporating found objects and natural materials. You will learn how to recognise emerging characters in your doll making, and how to use the inherent qualities of your materials to bring these characters to life. Using intuitive design methods, you will create dolls that are not only beautiful, but unique and meaningful to you, reflecting your character, your experiences, and the stories that resonate with you.
Previous experience working with textiles is useful, but the course is open to all levels, including complete beginners.
The Central Scotland School of Craft is the only venue in Scotland where this three day workshop will be available. Don’t miss this exclusive opportunity to be part of this unique crafting experience!
About Your Tutor
“I studied textiles at Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art in Dundee and fashion the Royal College of Art in London. I have been making dolls, puppets and creatures since childhood but only stopped hiding them from other people in the last few years.
Themes of transformation and transmutation are always present in my work. I create figures that are frozen in the moment between one state and the next. Rather than aiming to recreate a flawless, idealised view of the human figure in a doll, I find beauty in the incomplete, the broken, the decayed, lost, unexpected and vulnerable.
All of my pieces are individually hand dyed using herbal and plant infusions gathered in Scotland and prepared by hand in my studio. Each piece is a response not only to my own creative inclination at the time of making, but to the season, weather, vegetation and environment around me at a particular time and place.”
“Johanna really helps free you of pre conceived ideas of how to create. I found it extremely liberating.”
“This is what happens when you go on a Pale Rook doll making course. You shake loose and create from your soul.”
“I had in my head what I wanted to create and Johanna gently coaxed it out of me and enabled the process of bringing him into being. He’s a very personal creation, he’s mine”
- All tools are provided for use at the workshop and materials are included in the course cost
- Tea and coffee are provided but participants should bring their own lunch and utensils
- All of our classes are suitable for over 16s, Art Doll Making with The Pale Rook is not suitable for younger learners
- If the workshop you were looking at is fully booked drop us an email and we’ll add you to the waiting list. We will add extra dates to our most popular workshops too, join the mailing list to be the first to know
- All of our workshops are held at Craft Central, High Street, Dunblane, FK15 0EE